This is how old I was when I got hit by a car while riding my bike. Except it was1987, before helmets were a thing.
I was in kindergarten, I still said “N-N-N-O-P”, my favorite books were Berenstain Bears, my favorite shoes were those pink Reeboks (pictured), I couldn’t read, I had a crush on a boy who could color well, I pretended to write cursive by making squiggles, and my brother and I used to have rollerskating competitions where we pretended we were figure skaters. I learned to ride without training wheels my first go. Down the street I went, riding by and quickly taking one hand off the handle to wave quickly at my older brother who was still trying to get the balance down.
Weeks after I got it down, our neighbor down the street got a 1987 Pink Huffy Capri and it was the greatest thing I’d ever seen (pictured). She offered to let me ride it and while I was great without training wheels, I was still too little to handle a bike that size. I took off on the sidewalk heading toward her house and fumbled. I got back on and got past a house and started to wobble. To correct myself, I darted into the street and the next thing I knew I was looking up at the engine of the car. The asphalt felt warm but not hot. I didn’t feel scared. I felt no pain. Someone must have pulled me out from under the car because the next moments were a montage of a car my memory paints as a maroonish Ford LTD driven by a woman with large 1970’s glasses and a short, feathered 70’s coif. (Continued in comments)
Annnnd I’m back. Took a vacation and unplugged. I also took next to zero personal photos with my camera, which leaves us here, now, with zero content. I figured I’d drop this old iPhone photo of me and this hunk and share some fun facts so you may still find me interesting!
1. I was hit by a car when I was 5 while riding my bike. I’ve got a post coming up about this, so stay tuned.
2. My favorite halloween costume ever was a rollerskating waitress. I didn’t get to go trick or treating that year cause I was sick.
3. My first interaction with my now husband was eye contact across a parking lot. I KNEW instantly that he “got” me. He has no recollection of this.
4. I’m TERRIBLE at interior decorating
5. Always hated minivans. The day I got my minivan was the happiest day of my life because we are in love.
6. I waited tables for 9 years.
7. I never pass up a Photo Booth.
8. I’ve only ever left the country to go to Canada
9. I’ve never broken a bone.
10. I was obsessed with Unsolved Mysteries when I was younger and now I’m obsessed with True-Crime podcasts. 1-800-876-53-53…..
Ok, that’s it! Please don’t leave me. •